Whether it occurs in the kitchen or the bathroom, a clogged drain can become a significant inconvenience. Alas, the fact is that many homeowners are reluctant to call a plumber and attempt to resolve the issue themselves, hopefully saving a few bucks in the process.
However, there are several DIY drain cleaning techniques that may cause damage as opposed to any good. The following are the most common mistakes to avoid while trying to clean your drains:
- Using coat hangers. Many people attempt to clean their drains by unbending a coat hanging and sliding it down the drain. Not only is this method ineffective, but you also run the risk of causing more damage to the pipe by constantly scraping it.
- Pouring chemical drain cleaners. While they may work for slow drains and hairballs, chemical drain cleaners are not capable of removing solid obstructions. Furthermore, due to the toxic chemicals, they can be a safety hazard as well.
- Handling drain augers. Although these tools can be quite useful, they are only effective in the hands of a professional. An amateur may actually cause more harm than good.
- Using the garden hose. Some believe the water pressure of a hose will flush out the pipes and unclog the drains. However, you run the risk of damaging your pipes.
- Doing it yourself. Unless you have some experience plumbing, it is wise to leave it to the professionals.
Remember, having your pipes cleaned and inspected at least once a year is imperative to avoid any issues regarding your plumbing. An experienced and insured plumber is capable of drain cleaning in the proper fashion, without causing any damage.
If you are interested plumbing repair in the San Fernando Valley, CA, contact Duran & Sons Universal Plumbing & Rooter today.