Since it is out of sight and out of mind, most homeowners do not worry about their garbage disposal. Unfortunately, the only time you worry about it is when there is an issue.
The following are several signs that your garbage disposal either needs repairs or replacement:
- Your garbage disposal smells. Despite cleaning out your garbage disposal, if it still has a perpetually bad odor, then consider having a professional disassemble and clean it. You can also replace it and have fresher air.
- Your disposal jams or clogs every time you use it. If your disposal jams, even when you flush small food items, then it needs to be inspected for either repairs or replacement.
- You notice water leaking from the disposal. While plumbers can fix the leaks around the device’s seals, if the leak comes for a crack in the disposal, then you need to purchase a whole new system.
- Your disposal is making a loud metallic noise when it runs. When your device makes a metal-on-metal type of sound, then its parts have started to grave or move incorrectly, so it requires a tune-up. If you do not give a tune-up, the motor could burn out or parts could wear down, leading to replacement.
- Breaking down food takes a really long time. Your garbage disposal should be capable of breaking down food in a matter of seconds. If it takes longer than that, then the blades have probably worn down. Call a professional to sharpen or replace the blades.
To let a professional take a look at your garbage disposal, contact Duran & Sons Universal Plumbing & Rooter and schedule an appointment with our licensed San Fernando Valley plumbers today.