Did you know that the average lifespan of a traditional tank-based household water heater is around 8 to 12 years? Fortunately, homeowners can extend the life of their heater and maximize its efficiency with routine maintenance and proper setup.
To maximize the life expectancy of your water heater, be sure to do the following:
- Set the proper temperature: By default, most water heaters are set to a temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This is unnecessary. Reducing this to 120 degrees will not only save energy, but it will also minimize your risk of scalding accidents.
- Install proper insulation: Proper insulation can greatly improve the efficiency of your water heater and save you a considerable amount of money over the course of its life. A licensed technician can have insulation installed which will allow your unit to conserve heat.
- Flush your system regularly: Periodically flushing your water heater can be crucial to clean out sediment buildup and combat internal deterioration. Since this can be a relatively complex process, it is recommended you have a professional perform a unit flush every one to three years.
- Inspect the anode rod: Most water heaters are equipped with a large metal pipe known as an anode rod which maintains the cleanliness of the unit. Check this rod once every year for signs of deterioration and replace if needed.
- Check the expiration date: Many people are unaware of how old their water heater is until something goes wrong. To minimize your risk of a major water heater catastrophe, check its expiration date. If it is more than 12 years old, you should probably consider replacing it for both your health and safety.
Need a New Water Heater? Dial (818) 946-0545
At Duran & Sons Universal Plumbing & Rooter, our skilled San Fernando Valley plumbers have been providing top-quality water heater repairs and replacements to residential and commercial clients since 1986. With 24/7 availability and a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee, you can choose us with confidence knowing that the job will be done right.
Get in touch with us online today to schedule a service!